Strange is the world
Why should men / Receive life in this world?
Men's lives are as meaningless / As the lives of insects
The terrible folly / Of such suffering
A man lives but / As briefly as a flower / Destined all too soon / To decay into the stink of flesh
Humanity strives / All its days / To sear its own flesh / In the flames of base desire / Exposing itself/ To Fate's Five Calamities / Heaping karma upon karma
All that awaits Man / At the end / Of his travails / Is the stench of rotting flesh / That will yet blossom into flower / Its foul odor rendered / Into sweet perfume /
Oh, fascinating / The life of Man / Oh, fascinating
Ok... so that's depressing. According to the ugly old witch thing in Throne of Blood, that's what the meaning of life is: nothingness. Sound nihilistic?
ni·hil·ism [nahy-uh-liz-uhm], noun
- total rejection of established laws and institutions.
- anarchy, terrorism, or other revolutionary activity.
- total and absolute destructiveness, especially toward the world at large and including oneself: the power-mad nihilism that marked Hitler's last years.
- an extreme form of skepticism: the denial of all real existence or the possibility of an objective basis for truth.
- nothingness or nonexistence.(via Dictionary.com.)
I'd be willing to toss some points to anyone who does a writeup about their feelings about nihilism, this picture, etc. Just saying.